Sunday, April 6, 2014

Cheap Peak PKC0AF 2.0 Amp 12V Automatic Semi Intelligent Float Battery

Peak PKC0AF 2.0 Amp 12V Automatic Semi Intelligent Float Battery Charger/Maintainer
Customer Ratings: 4 stars
Buy Now
Well thought out from A to Z. Comes with 3 styles of battery connector that unplug from the cord. One is on my boat, one on my lawn tractor and one on my spare battery. I rotate the charger between the 3 batteries and never have to disturb the connectors. It's tough, It's waterproof, It's Smart, It doesn't overcharge and I don't even have to think about it.

Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>

I bought this charger to keep two golf cart batteries used during power failures charged. I have monitored the charge process and am puzzled by the Semi-intelligent description for this charger, I will share my findings here. When first connected the charger will charge at full output of about 2 amp hours until the battery voltage reaches about 13.2 volts and then starts to taper off until the battery voltage is around 14 volts. Once the charger switches to float (maintenance mode) it drops the charging current to around .2 amps or less as required to maintain a voltage of about 13.3 volts. If I place a small load on the batteries, I find that the charger will adjust it's output while keeping the voltage steady until it drops to about 13.1 volts, where it will switch back to charge mode again until the 14 volts is reached again.

As far as I am concerned, this does everything most chargers advertised as multi-stage smart chargers do. I like that it does not constantly cycle on and off, but uses a small variable current to maintain voltage unless the voltage drops due to some draw on the battery. This causes the battery to produce less gassing and electrolyte loss than my past chargers have. Any battery used as backup power that is seldom cycled should have a equalizing charge applied occasionally to raise the voltage high enough to cause short term gassing, which stirs the electrolyte and balances voltages between the cells. This type charger is not designed for that, same as most float mode type chargers. Ths charger also uses less power than my other smart chargers, showing 2.9 watts to maintain a 220 amp hour battery, while my next best charger uses 4.4 watts. At my power cost, this should only cost me about $3.oo per year to operate, and should take even less on a smaller battery. While I haven't owned it long enough to comment on the life span, I am pleased with what I see so far and will update this review if it fails in a short time.

Best Deals for Peak PKC0AF 2.0 Amp 12V Automatic Semi Intelligent Float Battery

Calling this charger intelligent is kind of funny. This is just a standard automotive charger and does not work very well. My biggest concern with charger was the charger voltage which was always around 13.2V, and just not enough to recharge a 12V battery.

Buy Fom Amazon Now

No comments:

Post a Comment