List Price: $14.95
Sale Price: $12.08
Today's Bonus: 19% Off
Five stars because I got two of these (MG114 and MG115), and one clip still holds well to either of the balls, and the other clip is flopping. I looked around online for a solution, and read from other reviewers that a thin eyeglasses cleaning cloth, the shiny microfiber kind, is the solution. I cut a 2" x 2" piece, and snapped the ball in with the cloth in between. So far so good!
Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>
I have bought two of these MG114's and one MG115 and have found that Arkon's entire MG product line has the same weak ball joint problem. It's a shame because I have found their suction cup and their device holding assembly far superior to anything I've ever used. Their products main strength is the ability to easily seat and unseat a mobile device onto a windshield mount without concern for compatibility with the case you're using. My work around to the ball joint issue was to put a couple of drops of Gorilla glue in the ball joint assembly and adjust the device to the optimal viewing angle as it was mounted on the windshield. Naturally, this freezes the unit in place making it no longer adjustable, but it makes it very secure and sturdy. If you already have a mount that is too loose to stay in place while the glue dries, Cut some fabric off of an old 100% Polyester shirt (I used and old softball jersey) in 2" x 2" squares, Fold this fabric over the ball and press the ball into the ball joint.Use the number of fabric squares necessary to tighten the assembly so it will hold your phone in place. Then remove the ball from the joint and put drops of Gorilla glue on the fabric layers and reassemble. Adjust the device as necessary for optimal viewing and give the assembly 30-45 minutes to dry. Place a cloth directly below the unit to catch any glue that drips.
Use scissors to trip any excess fabric away after the glue has dried.
I would suggest to Arkon that they would have a perfect product if they used the ball joint assembly of the IPM515 product on their MG Line.
Best Deals for Arkon MG114 Car Mount for HTC ONE X - Retail Packaging - Black
First let me start out by saying I like this mount. Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks keeping it from being a 5* item.First, the tab for releasing the phone is absurdly big, and the "hooks" for holding the phone are over-extended in a way that blocks a small portion of the screen on top and bottom if not viewed head on (I have an HTC One S). They didn't need to make any of these parts as long as they have, and even could have saved some plastic if they hadn't. I assume the extra curved length on the hooks is so that you could theoretically slip the phone into it without having to manually spread them, but they just don't need to be as big as they are, not to mention it is nearly impossible to insert your phone this way, even before the pivot head gives up.
Secondly, the pivot head is not very sturdy, and gives up easily. After less than a week, my phone now flops around as the grip within the pivot head has completely given up. With the amount of effort necessary to snap them together initially, I never expected this. The mount pivot, with it's adjustable settings, is still good though. Thankfully the absurdly large tab for removing the phone can be used as a "kick stand" if you mount this to the windshield low enough to prop it on the dash, unfortunately this forces landscape orientation of the phone when I prefer portrait...what to do?
All in all, I don't mind too much that it isn't perfect because I didn't pay over twenty bucks for it, including shipping. So for the price, I can live with the drawbacks until something sleeker comes out.
Honest reviews on Arkon MG114 Car Mount for HTC ONE X - Retail Packaging - Black
This has become my favorite phone mount because:1. it's easy to get my phone in and out
2. it holds the phone very securely
3. the ball joint makes it easy to adjust to the right angle. I've not had the loose ball joint problem others are talking about but I appreciate their advice in case that happens later.
4. the base has stayed put right where I put it on the dash
Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for Arkon MG114 Car Mount for HTC ONE X - Retail Packaging - Black
As the title indicates, this mount does work, but it is extremely inconvenient to use, and there are much better alternatives for the money, for instance another windshield mount that I reviewed: Universal car mount features a holder that can be adjusted at any angle to suit the drivers needThis one is OK in terms of it holding the phone tightly and having a decent suction cup. But inserting or extracting the phone is a torture. You need your BOTH hands to open the tight "jaws" properly for a phone that's big enough (it's simply impossible for a normal person to do it with one hand, simultaneously pressing on one part and holding the other). But then it's a real problem, because you also need to be holding the phone itself during this procedure! Extracting the phone is also a "treat", because while your two hands are busy opening the grip, your smartphone falls out, and in the best-case scenario it falls on your lap... All through the procedure you have to exert serious pressure on the mount, and I am always afraid that I'll detach it from the windshield whatsoever.
Other than that a decent device, but this one thing makes it worthless for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment