For such a low price we got two so we could have one for each car. At first we could not get either one to plug in to either of our two SE W760a phones. They appeared to fit, but would not plug all the way into the phone's charging port, and we did not want to exert the extraordinary force it would have taken to push the plug in farther. We have used various headsets, wall chargers and USB cables with our two phones and we know how much force it should normally take, and what this plug seemed to require was clearly excessive. And we also know how fragile this phone's charging ports are, and how vulnerable they are to breakage over time from just normal use (I have already had to repair mine with a soldering iron). I felt like I should return them, but quickly realized that we paid more for postage than the item itself, and unlike Amazon items, postage is not refundable from this source, so it would have cost more to ship them back than the refund amount.
Upon further inspection, however, it appeared to me that the little plastic loop clips that hold the plug in the socket are stiffer and more resistant to being pinched the way they would normally work than the others I have used, perhaps due to being made slightly thicker or with less flexible material. In any case, what I did to solve the problem was to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to gently pinch the plastic clips in the middle (more towards their base, not tip) to exercise them and flatten them slightly, doing this about 20 times so that the two sides would barely touch, while being careful not to crush the rounded tip. After this, the plug went into the phone without too much force and seems to stay plugged in. Whether this will be a permanent or adequate fix remains to be seen, but I thought I would pass this along as a suggestion for anyone who runs into the same issue and may want to try this as a possible solution. It seems to work for me, at least for now, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. I have also considered cutting one side of the plastic loop clip all the way through near its base to allow it to flex more near the tip that plugs into the phone, but chose to try this less drastic measure first, and save that as a backup plan.
This is the only issue we have noticed so far, without a full charging test yet.There is nothing better than paying a few pennies for a car charger that is regularly about $15-$20 retail. This works great and charges better than the wall charger that came with my phone.
No comments:
Post a Comment