The product I received was not able to supply the advertised current with the supplied USB cable or any other USB cable. The supplied USB cable would never be able to supply >500mA regardless of the charger, AC or USB. I needed to modify the 2.1A port in able to draw the advertised current. I needed to modify a USB cable to draw the advertised current from the non-modified 1A port.
Detailed Description:
Out of the box, this charger will not provide the advertised 2.1A or 1A to your USB device. I used my HTC Rezound android phone and the Battery Monitor app to see two things: 1) The charge mode when plugged into each USB port, and 2) The amount of current being sourced to the phone.
1) The phone only recognized the "USB" charge mode, and not "AC" charge mode. In the "USB" charge mode, the phone will limit itself to 500mA only. In "AC" charge mode, the phone will remove the 500mA restriction and take as much power as it can handle. I used both the supplied USB cable and ones that came with AC adapters that when plugged in, indicate "AC" charging. There was no USB cable that I tried that allowed AC charging from this product.
After some research, I found that the 2 inner pins (data +, data -) on the physical USB connector need to be shorted together in order for the phone to recognize AC charging. I opened this charger and soldered the 2 data pins together on the 2.1A port, but left the 1A port alone. Using a USB cable known to source >500mA from an AC adapter, I connected my phone to the charger's 2.1A port in the car. The charge mode indicated "AC" and no longer "USB". I then removed the cable from the 2.1A port and plugged into the unmodified 1A port, and the phone indicated "USB" charging.
I then used the supplied USB cable in both ports, but the phone only indicated "USB" charging for each one. I tried the cable on an AC adapter and the phone still indicated "USB" charging. I disconnected the cable and sliced it open to find that there were no wires for data + or data (the 2 inner pins). This means that regardless of the charger, this cable would not allow full-rate charging at 2.1A or 1A since the USB device would see data + and data as an open circuit, instead of a short circuit, and limit itself to 500mA.
2) After the soldering modification, I witnessed current rates on the phone via the Battery Monitor app exceeding 900mA from the 2.1A port, which is the net amount of current going to the battery after supplying power for existing phone functions (CPU, screen, radios, etc).
Further, I took another USB cable that has data lines, cut open the outer insulation and spliced together the 2 data lines (green & white insulation). After re-insulating the cable, plugged it into my phone and the 1A port (the not modified port). The phone indicated "AC" charging and >500mA net current to the battery.
Click Here For Most Helpful Customer Reviews >>
My experience with this product has been very positive. My micro usb car charger's wire recently split exposing the wires and I thought it best to replace it sooner rather than after having a short. I got this product as a replacement and figured the extra port would be beneficial for additional charging of my higher powered devices such as my ipad or Nexus 7 while I charged my phone or ipod. The charger is very sturdy, sleek looking and is the right size for my car and has a cool blue light that glows to let you know when it is powered. The light is strong enough that it is visible during the day. It also is sturdy and compact if you want to move it between cars. I was very impressed how well this compact and sturdy device performed. It was able to charge my Android phone(with an extended battery connected) with the 1 amp port much more quickly than my old micro usb charger and was able to also charge my tablets simultaneously with my phone using the 2 amp port at a very fast rate. I didn't realize just how much being able to charge two devices simultaneously would be appreciated and I find myself charging ipods and tablets as I drive along with my phone all the time now. I also like having the option of charging my device at 1 A or quicker using the 2A port provided. The included micro usb cable is also a great bonus as is knowing that I can replace the wire if necessary and won't have to replace the whole unit, unlike my old one piece charging unit. I am very impressed with this sleek, efficient and powerful little device's charging capabilities while driving and am very glad to have replaced my older less functional device. I would definitely recommend using this device for all of the features above.Best Deals for New Trent (1PC) 15W 5V@3.1A Dual high-speed USB port car charger w
I have to say this is the only charger that could charge my GS3... I've used so many not realizing that they were my older I phone chargers. I didn't know the whole 2A and 1A difference. But this does the job! I could charge my wife's I phone and my Android phone at the same time.I'm just a little upset that it stated 15w on the Site yet the box says it's 10w. Honestly this was the only reason I went with trent. I was told about another brand called powergen. It's listed @ 10w 2A charger for a dollar less. Oh well, I guess they got me? It is kinda deceiving to do this... That's why I gave it 4 stars....
Honest reviews on New Trent (1PC) 15W 5V@3.1A Dual high-speed USB port car charger w
I want to use my Nexus 7 (N7) tablet as GPS navigation (BIG SCREEN!) and bought this charger, thinking that it will delivery enough juice (3.1A) to power the N7 while being used.My N7 was in this state:
ON
Brightness 75%
Wifi ON and tethered to my cellphone
Google Navigation running.
Even though N7 shows that it is "Charging" at AC rate, the battery actually goes down. So it looks like it does NOT charge the N7 while it is being used.
However, if the N7 is OFF, then it charges, albeit slowly.
Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for New Trent (1PC) 15W 5V@3.1A Dual high-speed USB port car charger w
The New Trent 1 Dual high-speed USB charger has a nice, shape, which fits comfortably into my car's DC slot, and a gentle blue LED light that signals that the charger is functioning. The supplied USB cord is long enough to power a device that may have to be stored in a seat pocket, etc. Over an hour's drive it got warm, but not unreasonably so, which suggests that it discharges heat in a safe manner.I tested the 2A slot with an ipad 3, and the 1A slot with a Samsung Android phone. Both charged quickly. I then individually ran their mp3 audio through the car's sound system while charging a topic not addressed by many 5* reviews. The ipad sounded fine, but there was a lot of hiss and cycle hum with the Android, hence the 4 stars. All together a great charger if you aren't simultaneously going to play music through your phone!
No comments:
Post a Comment